Massage & Bodywork
Shiatsu is a style of bodywork developed in Japan. It is similar to acupuncture, but uses finger pressure instead of needles. Shiatsu’s name comes from two Japanese words — “shi” or finger and “atsu” or pressure. Shiatsu’s goal is to restore the healthy flow of energy throughout the body. For shiatsu, you wear loose clothing. The practitioner will use their fingers and thumbs to apply pressure to specific points on the body’s energy pathways, known as meridians. They often use other techniques such as rocking, stretches and joint rotations. Shiatsu treatment is holistic, addressing the whole body rather than focusing on the one area where symptoms are most obvious.
Tuina is an Oriental Bodywork Therapy that has been used in China for 2,000 years. Tuina uses the traditional Chinese medical theory of the flow of Qi through the meridians as its basic therapeutic orientation. Through the application of massage and manipulation techniques Tuina seeks to establish a more harmonious flow of Qi through the system of channels and collaterals, allowing the body the naturally heal itself. Tuina methods include the use of hand techniques to massage the soft tissue (muscles and tendons) of the body, acupressure techniques to directly affect the flow of Qi.
In a typical session, the client, wearing loose clothing and no shoes, lies on a table or floor mat. The practitioner examines the specific problems of the client and begins to apply a specific treatment protocol. The major focus of application is upon specific pain sites, acupressure points, energy meridians, and muscles and joints. The client usually feels relaxed but energized by the treatment.
Living Room’s Other Services
We do more than just acupuncture at Living Room. There are other services that can be very helpful in increasing the health of a patient. Each person is unique and there are many modalities that can be particularly helpful to different clients.
- Moxa can have a strong herbal odor when it is burned. We use smokeless and odorless moxa in our clinic for our clients with allergies or sensitivities.
- Some patient’s are given moxa sticks to self medicate as homework. We have found that this helps in the healing and recovery process.
- Most clients report falling into a slumber like sensation when receiving reiki.
- Reiki works at the energetic levels of the human energy field and also affects the physical functioning of the body.
- Cupping has become in vogue with Hollywood celebrities such as Gwenyth Paltrow sporting cupping marks on her back.
- You don’t have to be a Hollywood celebrity to take advantage of this ancient healing modality.
Why Choose Us
- Our fees are affordable so that you can get all the treatments you need
- All our acupuncturists are board certified by the Florida Board of Acupuncture
- We are conveniently located in Downtown Miami with easy access to major highways
- You can come with your spouse or friend and we can treat you together
What Client’s Say
Amazing experience! This was my first time doing acupuncture and Rafael made it great! He’s incredibly professional & caring for the patients’ opinions, concerns, etc. Spends as long as you need with you & has a generous heart. I highly suggest him! Can’t wait to be back!
I highly recommend Living Room Acupuncture!!!
Very tailored treatment and a great ability, if need be, to treat a problem in a multitude of ways.
Personalized attention, safe atmosphere.
Treatments are affordable, quick, and get the job done!